Request Residential Burning Permit

Requesting permit for open burning. This is the application. The actual permit will be issued at a later date when the review is completed. An annual burning permit is required for any open burning within the City of Topeka.




Step 1.Why Do I Need a Burn Permit

To keep you and your family safe from danger of fire it is necessary to review reference material and regulations.

Step 2.What Are The Regulations?

  •  The approved permit shall be in possession of person doing burning or available for immediate inspection.
  • Burn is only allowed during daylight hours. Fires must be extinguished at sundown.
  • No burning during periods when surface wind speed is less than 5mph or more than 15mph.
  • No burning during inclement or foggy conditions or on very cloudy days (ceiling less than 2000')
  • No burning within 50 feet of any structure.
  • No burning of heavy smoke producing materials including heavy oils, tires, tarpaper, or any material which gives off offensive odor or smoke that is of soiling soot content.
  • The Fire Chief or his designee reserves the right to modify or revoke this permit at any time.
  • A competent person shall constantly attend open fires and bonfires until such fire is extinguished. This person shall have a garden hose connected to a water supply or other approved fire extinguishing equipment readily available for use.
  • Fire Dispatch will be notified prior to lighting the pile for authorization at 785-368-9514
  • Fire Dispatch will be notified once the fire has been extinguished at 785-368-9514
  • Burning operations shall meet the minimum requirements stated above and the open burning regulations of the State of Kansas: K.A.R. 28-19-645 – 28-19-648.

Step 3.What Can I Not Burn?

The following is a list of items which ARE NOT allowed to be burned within the city limits or within Shawnee County. The list includes, but is not limited to:

  • Leaves
  • Grass Clippings
  • Paper
  • Pallets
  • Shingles
  • Vinyl siding
  • Masonite siding
  • Wood paneling
  • Primed or Painted wood
  • Plywood
  • Varnished or finished wood
  • Housewrap (tyvek)
  • Paint cans, rollers, brushes, trays
  • Carpet and padding
  • Linoleum
  • Oriented-strand board (OSB)
  • Wafer and Particle boards
  • Caulking tubes
  • Electrical wires
  • Conduit pipe
  • Junction boxes
  • PVC pipe
  • Plastics
  • Insulation, fiberglass, foam, styrofoam
  • Trash (residential or commercial)
  • Treated Lumber (CCA)
  • Railroad ties
  • Telephone poles
  • Wet or green timber
  • Household furnishings
  • Household hazardous wastes
  • Asbestos material
  • Petroleum products
  • Dead animals
  • Metals
  • Tires
  • Oil
  • Aerosol cans

Step 4.Apply For Residential Burn Permit

Apply for Permit

Step 5.Thank you

Thank you for submitting your request.  The Fire Department will be in contact with you.