Topeka Animal Licensing Ordinance says “All dogs, cats and miniature pot belly pigs, 6 months of age or older, and currently residing within the City of Topeka limits must be kept current on vaccinations against rabies and licensed with the City of Topeka Police Department.”
You may maintain your license or begin your license through the mail or in person.
At the moment, electronic registration is not available.
- The license application must be downloaded and filled out.
- Documentation on the most current rabies vaccination for the pet (it must indicate an expiration date).
- If you are applying for the lowered altered pet fee, then you must include documentation on the alteration.
- Your paperwork will not be returned to you, so please retain a copy of your documents for your records.
- Standard license fees: 1-Year
- Un-spayed or un-neutered dog or cat: $20.00
- Spayed / neutered dog, cat or pig: $8.00
(All pigs living in the city limits must be altered sterile)
- Late fee (30 days past license expiration): $2.00 per month
Make your check or money order payable to “City of Topeka”. Please do not send cash through the mail and be sure to use a secure drop box to deposit your mail.
Topeka Animal Licensing
c/o Animal Control Unit
320 S Kansas Ave, Ste 100
Topeka, KS 66603-3640
Once your payment has been received and all necessary paperwork reviewed and approved, your pets license tag will be mailed back to you.
The corner of 4th and Kansas Ave in downtown Topeka at 320 S. Kansas Ave Topeka, KS 66603.
Enter the Topeka Police lobby doors facing the south and turn right as you enter. Look for the Animal Control window. Business hours are Monday through Friday 8am to 5pm, excluding any major holidays.
At this location we are able to accept payments by cash, check/money order or any major credit card.
What happens if I am late?
Payment for your license is due on or before the license expiration date as indicated on your mailing.
You have a 30 day grace period. A late fee is added to the license fee if your license is not renewed within the 30 days after the license expiration date. Licenses expire on the last day of the month, one year from purchase. The late fee is $2 per month for up to 12 months.
For example: A pet license for a spayed dog expires in June and is renewed in September. The amount due is $8 for the license fee + $2.00 late fee for July + $2.00 late fee for August + $2.00 late fee for September for a grand total of $14.00.
If the vaccination record provided is expired then we will not be able to issue a license to your pet.
Unlicensed animals may be impounded and owner may be fined under city ordinance.
We can issue a new tag for a $1.00 fee by mail or you can visit us in person.